Furniture makeovers are a great way to update the look of your home without spending a lot of money. You can give your old furniture a new look by painting it, reupholstering it, or adding new hardware.
You may have all kinds of wooden furniture in your home. Your dining table and chairs, coffee and side tables, and other displays and cases can benefit from a little makeover to update them and give them a new look that you will love.
Here are 36 different furniture makeover ideas for how you can transform your same old furniture into something new, pretty, and functional.
Best Furniture Makeover Ideas For Your DIYs
How do you modernize old furniture?
Giving old furniture a modern makeover is a great way to save money and add a fresh new look to your home. Check out how you can do it with these five simple ways to modernize old furniture.
1. Use paint to give your furniture a new hue, or take it one step further and give it a complete makeover with chalkboard paint for an added touch of function to any room in the house. Or, go bold with bright colors.
2. Add new hardware, such as matte black drawer pulls.
3. Update your furniture with a new slipcover or add an updated look to it by giving it a fresh coat of paint and new legs.
4. Try faux finishes like rusted metal, weathered wood, and chalkboard to give your furniture a unique and eclectic look that will be talked about for years to come.
5. Try upholstery to give your furniture a new look in just one afternoon.
There are lots of different ideas you can use to refresh old furniture without spending much money at all. This is a great way to ensure you get the look you want and save money in the process.
What can I do to improve my old wooden furniture?
Upcycling wood furniture, either dark or light wood, is a great way to get the look you want without buying new furniture. With old wooden furniture, you can do just about anything to update it.
- You can paint it;
- You can also reupholster your old furniture with fabric or custom-designed vinyl stickers;
- Or simply use a stencil and paint to create a design on the wood itself.
Paint can be used to create all kinds of effects on old furniture. Here are some ideas:
- Paint stripes, squares, hexagons, or checkered designs;
- Add decorative borders around the table's top and legs;
- Use silver or gold metallic paint around the frame to give it an updated look.
How can I improve my furniture?
The quickest way to improve old furniture is by replacing all the knobs and handles. This will completely change the look of your piece without any additional work.
Replacing hardware is also a good option for those who want to update the look of their furniture without spending money on expensive makeovers, as it can be as cheap as you'd like.
As mentioned above, another way to improve your furniture is by repainting or reupholstering. Reupholstering an old piece of furniture is a great way to give it a new life without spending a lot of money.
How do you update and modernize an antique dresser?
Every home has one or two pieces of furniture that just aren't working. For some people, it's a dresser. Getting rid of the old piece and buying a new one is always an option, but this can be incredibly expensive.
Updating your dresser means giving it a makeover to improve its look without spending too much money. This is a great way to save money and get the dresser you've always wanted.
Here are some ideas:
- Add new knobs and pulls;
- Update the paint job by adding gold or silver metallic paint in an interesting pattern on top of your existing finish;
- Stencil designs on your dresser with paint.
These are just a few ideas to help you update your old dresser. The options are endless, so give it a try and see what you can come up with.
How do you upcycle furniture without paint?
Paint is definitely the quickest way to upcycle furniture, but it's not your only option. Consider these alternative options:
- Cover the piece of furniture with wallpaper;
- Try wall stickers to create decorative designs on an old piece of furniture.
- You can also try using custom decals or stenciling for a unique look that will add a touch of character to your home.
The best part about upcycling furniture is that it can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make it. If you're looking for a quick way to update your home, just go with paint. But if you want something more creative and exciting, try creating a design with wallpaper or custom decals instead.
How do you make an old dining table look modern?
There are many ways you can update an old dining table to give it a modern look without spending too much money.
Here are some ideas:
- Replace the legs with new ones;
- Paint the table using stencils and paint for more unique patterns;
- Add gold or silver metallic spray paint around the frame;
- Stencil on designs using paint.
All of these ideas and more can help you update your old dining table in creative ways that will add a modern touch to your home without spending too much money.
Some ideas for furniture updating can be pretty expensive, but you can get the DIY furniture ideas cheap if you are willing to get your hands dirty.
Furniture makeover ideas are in, as the furniture we bought a few years back might need to be updated to fit the contemporary decor. Painting modern furniture is generally a good idea.
Some pieces of furniture are meant to last as they were created, but others could use a remake with one of the creative techniques available, and you can use them yourself if you are artsy enough for that.
Trends are constantly changing, and if you are tired of your dated pieces of furniture or decide that it is about time to change something around your place, these furniture makeover ideas came at the right time, did they not?